[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Part One of a Three-Part Series
While the topic of this blog focuses on women, I am writing it to be read by both genders.
Because, as we all know, the woman in a marriage typically outlives her husband. It is also true that, in general, a single woman has an extended longevity compared to a single man.
(Source: Vanguard, “Plan for a Long Retirement”
Statistics reveal that 70% of the time a widow chooses a new financial advisor within weeks of her husband’s passing. (Source: CNBC, “For Some Widows, Breaking up with an Advisor is Easy to Do”, Ilana Polyak, 10/11/14).
Why does this happen? Among others, here are some of the reasons given:
(Source: “Understanding & Identifying Female Clients & Prospects”, INResearch and TD Ameritrade, 2016)
- “Even though I attended the financial meetings, the advisor always focused on my husband.
- “When I asked a question, the reply was: ‘You don’t need to bother with that; that’s my job to know.’”
- “The advisor rarely made eye contact with me.”
If you find this surprising, this information is substantiated by a recent study by TIAA.
Here are the results:
- Advisors knew the husband’s profession 74% of the time.
- They knew the wife’s profession 15% of the time!
- Advisors knew the husband’s preferred retirement age 74% of the time.
- They knew the wife’s preferred retirement age 16% of the time!
As a female financial advisor practicing in 2017, I continue to be amazed at the seeming lack of awareness throughout our industry. As a female business owner, I am embarrassed for my profession and apologize to anyone who has experienced this type of demeaning treatment.
If you are looking for a financial advisor who values long-term relationships grounded in integrity and mutual respect, endorses honesty without hesitation, follows the fiduciary standard and partners with her clients to create a trusted relationship, please contact us for a cup of coffee and conversation about your goals and dreams.
Free from judgment or comparison, we welcome you to a refreshing change at Resonate.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Barbara A. Culver
CFP®, ChFC®, CLU, AEP®